Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Why This Suffering?

We all endure suffering to one degree or another. Some people suffer more than others. And we all know someone suffering more than ourselves. If I can do anything in the world, it would be to be there for those who are suffering. I have close relatives who go through suffering everyday, and often there isn't much that can be done to lessen the physical pain of another person. We are not all medical doctors. But we can be there for those who suffer, and let them know they are loved. I know people who suffer, either physically, or mentally, or emotionally, or spiritually, and the only thing we can do is be there for them, whether spending time together, talking, giving a hug, praying for them. It is painful to see someone suffering intense physical pain and all you can do is hug them and pray that the pain ceases. Sometimes the prayers seem to work. Sometimes they don't. And I have to look at suffering through the experience of my own moments of being in some kind of intense suffering. There were people in my family, among my friends, even complete strangers, who have been present for me.


But what about when no one is there. I have been in places that I thought no one could be there for me. I even felt severed from God's love. I always recommend asking for God's help in every situation, but at those moments in my life, I felt utterly alone. I literally thought I was either in Hell or going to die and go there. If my family weren't there for me, I don't know if I would've recovered from the effects of very severe mental illness. Mental suffering can be the worst sometimes. I think the greatest epidemic is feeling alone, feeling like no one loves you, that you are pointless. Those of you who read this, try to think of something you can do or say to let people know they are valuable, and share God's love with them. Just do something that will make someone's day brighter. It doesn't have to be huge, and it doesn't have to impact everyone throughout the world. As Mother Teresa would say, work with the person right in front of you. Do it one on one. When we are faithful in doing small things, God will possibly give us greater tasks for some of us. But love people around you, and let that spread and be shared to other people. Love occurs one person at a time. Inspire one person at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment